If a workplace injury aggravates a pre-existing condition in Missouri, you may be eligible for workers’ comp.
Navigating workplace injuries can be complicated, but when you throw a pre-existing condition into the mix, things can get even more challenging. One common question many workers face is, “What if I have a pre-existing condition that was aggravated by my workplace injury?” Here’s what you need to know.
Understanding Pre-existing Conditions
A pre-existing condition is any injury, illness, or medical issue you had before your current workplace injury. Examples can range from previous back injuries to chronic conditions like arthritis. Having a pre-existing condition doesn’t necessarily mean you can’t receive compensation if a workplace injury exacerbates it. But it does make the situation more intricate.
Aggravation vs. Exacerbation
Before diving deeper, it’s essential to differentiate between the two most commonly used terms when discussing workplace injuries and pre-existing conditions: aggravation and exacerbation.
- Aggravation: This refers to when a workplace injury makes a pre-existing condition permanently worse.
- Exacerbation: This term indicates a temporary flare-up or worsening of a pre-existing condition because of a workplace incident.
Understanding the difference is crucial when discussing your situation, especially when dealing with insurance claims.
Missouri’s Stance on Pre-existing Conditions and Workplace Injuries
If you’re a Missourian, there’s some good news. Missouri is among the states that consider the aggravation or exacerbation of pre-existing conditions in workplace injuries. This means that if your pre-existing condition was made worse due to an incident at work, you could be eligible for workers’ compensation benefits.
However, there’s a catch. To be considered for compensation, the aggravation or exacerbation of your pre-existing condition must be directly related to your job duties or a specific workplace incident. A mere coincidence in the timing of the flare-up won’t suffice.
Why You Need a Missouri Work Injury Attorney
Given the nuances involved in cases where a pre-existing condition is aggravated by a workplace injury, having an experienced attorney by your side can be invaluable. Here’s why:
- Navigating Complex Claims: These situations often involve intense scrutiny from insurance companies. They may argue that the workplace incident had little to do with the aggravation of your condition. An experienced attorney can help gather the necessary evidence to counter such claims and advocate on your behalf.
- Securing Fair Compensation: Insurance companies often aim to minimize payouts. If you’re not well-versed in the complexities of workers’ compensation laws, you might end up settling for less than you deserve. A seasoned attorney can help ensure you get a fair deal.
- Peace of Mind: With an experienced attorney handling your claim, you can focus on what’s most important: healing and recovery.
Choose the Right Attorney
When facing a complicated workplace injury claim in Missouri, especially one involving pre-existing conditions, it’s essential to choose an attorney who is well-versed in the specific nuances of the state’s laws.
At the Law Office of James M. Hoffmann, we have over 30 years of experience and have dealt with thousands of cases, ensuring workers get the justice and compensation they deserve. They understand the intricacies of Missouri’s workers’ compensation laws and can guide you through every step of the process.
If you find yourself asking, “What if I have a pre-existing condition that was aggravated by my workplace injury?” don’t hesitate. Time can be of the essence in these situations.
St. Louis Workers Comp Attorney
Having a pre-existing condition can complicate your workplace injury claim, but it doesn’t make it impossible. The key is understanding your rights and having the right legal representation. So, if you’re in a situation where your previous condition was worsened due to a workplace accident, take action. Reach out to a Missouri work injury attorney at the Law Office of James M. Hoffmann.
Speak With a Workers Comp Attorney
Give us a call 24/7 for a FREE Case EvaluationCall (314) 361-4300