FREE CONSULTATION (314) 361-4300

What Happens If I’m Injured and My Employer Doesn’t Have Workers’ Comp Insurance?

If you have been injured at work in St. Louis and you find out that your employer doesn’t have workers’ compensation insurance, you may not know what to do.

You may wonder: Is it really mandatory for your employer to have workers’ compensation insurance? Do you need the help of a St. Louis workers’ compensation attorney? How can you get the money you need to cover your bills and expenses?

reopen workers compensation case

Workers Compensation Insurance Is Mandatory For The Vast Majority Of Companies

If your employer has 5 or more people working both full or part-time, they are generally legally required to carry workers’ compensation insurance. If your employer works in the construction industry and has one or more employees who  “erect, demolish, alter, or repair improvements,” they also must have workers compensation insurance.

If your employer meets these criteria in Missouri and does not have workers’ compensation insurance, they may be breaking the law. It’s just that simple. Get help from St. Louis work injury lawyer right away to protect your legal right to compensation.

What Should I Do After I’m Injured?

If you are injured in St. Louis and your employer does not have workers’ compensation insurance, it’s very important for you to take immediate action to get the compensation you deserve. Here are the first steps you should take after you are injured. 

  • Collect information about the incident – Make sure that you gather all of the reports, evidence, medical bills, and other information about your workplace accident. The more information you can gather, the better – as your St. Louis work injury attorney can use this evidence to bolster your case.
  • Hire a work injury lawyer in St. Louis – You will greatly benefit from the help of an experienced lawyer to get the compensation to which you’re entitled after your injury.
  • File a lawsuit against your employer – In most cases, you will file a personal injury lawsuit against your employer. Your lawyer will help you put together your case, and file a suit in the appropriate St. Louis or Missouri court. A civil lawsuit is the best way to get the money you deserve to cover your medical bills and missed work. You may also be compensation for your pain and suffering, and you may be awarded punitive damages by the court,
  • Recover medical expenses from the Second Injury Fund – The process of filing a lawsuit against your employer may take a long time. And while you pursue legal action, your medical bills may still be piling up. Your attorney can help you file with the Second Injury Fund, which may cover your medical expenses if your employer has failed to purchase workers’ compensation insurance.

Get Help From A Work Injury Lawyer

If you have been injured at work and your employer does not have workers’ compensation insurance, get help from an experienced attorney. The sooner you take action, the sooner you will get compensation for your injury.

Speak With a Workers Comp Attorney

Give us a call 24/7 for a FREE Case Evaluation

Call (314) 361-4300
Updated: July 18, 2022