FREE CONSULTATION (314) 361-4300
Free Consultation

What Should I Do If My Employer Denies My Workers’ Compensation Claim?


If your employer denies your workers’ compensation claim, gather evidence, check for errors, and consult with a Missouri work injury attorney immediately.

injured worker looking at insurance denial letter

You’re not alone if you’ve recently faced an injury at work and asked yourself, “What should I do if my employer denies my workers’ compensation claim?”. Thousands of workers find themselves in this stressful situation every year. But there’s hope. This article will provide a general guide on what you should do next.

Understanding Workers’ Compensation

Before delving into the steps, it’s essential to understand what workers’ compensation is. In simple terms, workers’ compensation is a type of insurance that provides medical benefits and wage replacement to employees injured on the job. It ensures that you won’t be left paying for all of your expenses if you are injured at work.

Steps to Take When Your Claim is Denied

  1. Stay Calm and Get Clarity: Panicking won’t help. Instead, consider asking your employer or the insurance company for a written explanation of why the claim was denied. This will give you a clearer idea of what might have gone wrong.
  2. Check for Errors: Sometimes, claims are denied due to simple errors or omissions on the claim form. Review your claim to ensure all details are accurate and complete.
  3. Gather Evidence: If you believe your claim is valid, gather evidence to support it. This could include medical records, accident reports, witness statements, or any other relevant documentation.
  4. Speak with a Missouri Work Injury Attorney: This is a crucial step. Navigating workers’ compensation laws can be complex, and having an experienced attorney by your side can make a significant difference. The Law Office of James M. Hoffmann, with over 30 years of experience and thousands of cases under its belt, offers free consultations 24/7. Giving us a call can provide clarity on how to move forward.
  5. File an Appeal: If your employer denies your claim, you have the right to appeal the decision. This usually involves a hearing where you, or ideally your attorney, will present evidence supporting your claim.
  6. Stay Updated and Follow Procedures: While the appeal process is underway, ensure you follow all procedures and timelines. Missing a deadline can jeopardize your appeal.
  7. Stay Healthy: Remember, your health comes first. Continue following your doctor’s advice and keep all your medical appointments. This not only aids in your recovery but also provides a record that you are serious about getting better.

Why Speaking with an Attorney Makes a Difference

It cannot be stressed enough how essential it is to consult with a knowledgeable attorney when your claim is denied. Here’s why:

  • Experience: Workers’ compensation laws are intricate. An experienced attorney will thoroughly understand these laws, ensuring your rights are protected.
  • Negotiation Skills: Insurance companies can be tough negotiators. Having someone who knows the ins and outs of the system can be invaluable in getting you the compensation you deserve.
  • Peace of Mind: Knowing you have a seasoned professional on your side can reduce your stress and allow you to focus on recovery.

The Law Office of James M. Hoffmann boasts over 30 years of experience in dealing with workers’ compensation cases. With thousands of cases successfully handled, we are a trusted name in Missouri for all work injury-related concerns.

Missouri Work Injury Lawyer

Facing a denied workers’ compensation claim can be daunting. But by understanding your rights, gathering the necessary evidence, and consulting with an experienced St. Louis workers comp attorney, you can significantly increase your chances of securing the compensation you deserve.

Remember that prompt action and experienced guidance are key. Don’t wait. Contact the Law Office of James M. Hoffmann for a free consultation.

Updated: September 8, 2023
Click to Call (314) 361-4300 Online Case Evaluation Form